Charles and Frank Wilford enrolled in the Newport Pagnell Company of the County Volunteer Defence Corps. Drills were held at 8pm on Tuesdays and 6.30pm on Wednesdays and Saturdays. By 1916, Charles had been promoted to Captain. During this same year, Wilford Bros also lent their horses and trolleys to be used in Newport Pagnell’s summer parade of decorative floats.